Setting up a Google Analytics account
- If you don’t have a Google account (ie. Gmail or G Suite), create one here.
- Sign into Google Analytics using your Google account here.
- Click the “Sign up” button.
- Enter a name for your account (your name or your company’s name are good choices).
- Fill in your website’s details. For “Website URL”, be sure to choose the correct protocol –
https://. If you’re not sure which one to choose, go to your website and take a look at the address bar:
If you see a green lock icon with
https://, then select
https://. Otherwise, select
- Click “Get Tracking ID”.
- Read and accept the Terms & Conditions.
Granting access to your Google Analytics account or property
- If you’re not already signed into your Google Analytics account, sign in using your Google account here.
- In the main menu bar, select “Admin” (it’s at the bottom left of your screen):
- Under “Account”, make sure the new Google Analytics account is selected.
- To grant access to your entire Google Analytics account (with all its properties/websites), select “User Management” under “Account”. To grant access to only one property/website, make sure the correct property is selected under “Property” and then select “User Management” under “Property”. We ask our clients to grant us access to their entire Google Analytics account, so that we can access all the functions we need to effectively optimize their websites. (Not to worry – you can create up to 100 Google Analytics accounts per email address!)
- Click on the “+” in the top right corner.
- Enter the Google email address (Gmail or G Suite) of the person you want to grant access to. (Not sure whether their email address is a Google email? Try it out, and Google Analytics will let you know if it’s not!)
- Check the box next to “Notify this user by email”.
- Under Permissions, turn on all the permissions you wish to grant this person. You can read more about what each permission means here. We ask our clients to grant us all permissions, so that we can access all the functions we need to effectively optimize their websites.
- Click the “Add” button to grant them access.